Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lisa Leslie to Retire After '09 Season

Four-time Olympic gold medalist Lisa Leslie announced yesterday that the 2009 WNBA season would be her last. A member of the historic 1995-96 USA Basketball Women's National Team that barnstormed across the nation en route to a combined 60-0 record and the gold medal in Atlanta, Leslie remained a pivotal part of the USA Basketball Women's National Team program, winning a record four consecutive Olympic gold medals, a pair of FIBA World Championship golds and in 2002 was named the FIBA World Championship MVP. Additionally, Leslie, who started her USA Basketball career as a member of the 1998 USA Junior World Championship Team, also earned USA Basketball Female Athelte of the Year award in 1993, 1998 and 2002, and was the youngest participant at the 1992 U.S. Olympic Team Trials.

"I feel that it’s just time" Leslie told ESPN. "I feel that this is a great opportunity for me to play my last season after having my baby and coming back last year. I feel like it’s fair for my fans to have the opportunity to come out and support me and my team, whether it’s here in Los Angeles or in any of the WNBA cities I’ll be playing in. I wanted to give them an opportunity to buy their tickets. I just feel it’s time for me. I don’t want to be out there playing where I cannot be effective in helping my team. At this point I feel like I can still score, I can rebound. I won (WNBA) Defensive Player of the Year this last season so I feel like I can continue to improve my game and help. But I definitely want to stop playing when I’m still effective as opposed to not being as helpful as I can be."

What They're Saying:

In other news, according to Jayda Evans Tina Thompson is close to finalizing a deal with the Sparks. If that indeed happens, Leslie and Thompson will be reunited for their Swan Song. In addition to a pair of Olympic teams, they played a year together at Morningside High School and also at USC.

No comments: